[pdal] [EXTERNAL] Re: PDAL and OpenLayers

Smith, Michael ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH Michael.Smith at erdc.dren.mil
Thu Dec 26 04:47:33 PST 2013

Roger and Eran,

To create a DEM from Pointcloud data using PDAL, you can use the Points2Grid driver. Here’s an example pipeline. You might also want add a filter to select just the last return or the Bare Earth classification if your data is classified.

For pdal, first create an ascii grid file from (las/pgpointcloud/whatever) using pdal. Then convert to tif via gdal_translate. Then use gdaldem to create the hillshade and color-relief images.

pdal pipeline point2gridpipe.xml
gdal_translate -a_srs epsg:3857 points2grid.asc points2grid.tif
gdaldem hillshade points2grid.tif points2grid_hs.tif -z 5 -az 90
gdaldem color-relief points2grid.tif colorramp.txt points2grid_cr.tif -co compress=jpeg -co PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR -co tiled=yes

Example pipeline:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Pipeline version="1.0">
  <Writer type="drivers.p2g.writer">
    <Option name="filename”>points2grid</Option>
    <Option name="grid_dist_x">1</Option>
    <Option name="grid_dist_y">1</Option>
    <Option name="output_type">idw</Option>
    <Option name="output_format">asc</Option>
    <Filter type="filters.selector">
      <Option name="ignore_default">true</Option>
      <Option name="keep">
        <Options>
          <Option name="dimension">X</Option>
          <Option name="dimension">Y</Option>
          <Option name="dimension">Z</Option>
        </Options>
      </Option>
      <Filter type="filters.inplacereprojection">
        <Option name="out_srs">EPSG:3857</Option>
        <Option name="scale_x">1e-05</Option>
        <Option name="scale_z">1e-05</Option>
        <Option name="scale_y">1e-05</Option>
        <Reader type="drivers.las.reader">
          <Option name="spatialreference">epsg:26911+4326</Option>
          <Option name="filename">pointcloudfile.laz</Option>
        </Reader>
      </Filter>
    </Filter>
  </Writer>