[pdal] Help with building PDAL on Windows 7

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Fri Nov 14 08:28:54 PST 2014

Robert,

Thanks for slugging through. The windows build documents are indeed not very up-to-date.

The way that Brad Chambers and I are trying to stand up is based on the OSGeo4W64 stack. We have produced OSGeo4W64 packages for almost all of the prerequisites (boost, PCL, zlib, GDAL, hexer, points2grid, laszip). There are a few gotchas though.

* PDAL only really supports MSVC2012+, and even then it's probably 2013+ most of the time. PDAL is C++11, and 2010 isn't going to cut it. Brad has a 2012 system that he has been using to out and fixing up PDAL issues, but those efforts tend to lag quite a bit. 2013 is going to be the best/easiest way to get somewhere.
* There's some CMake magic to tell find_package(boost) to use libraries built with different runtimes (the boost in OSGeo4W64 is built with 2012, and I've been building with 2013). I have that config in my local tree but not pushed up to github. I will do so today.
* Nothing has really been tested on Windows.
* My windows build config will be in cmake/examples/hobu-windows.bat

http://www.pdal.io/vagrant.html will get you a "working PDAL" without much effort on linux if you want to take that route to just test something.

Hope this helps,

Howard