[pdal] Unable to build PDAL 1.1.0: "Could NOT find GDAL (missing: GDAL_INCLUDE_DIR) "

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Dec 28 06:59:07 PST 2015

> On Dec 28, 2015, at 8:22 AM, Albert Godfrind <albert.godfrind at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> I am trying to build the latest GDAL on Linux. The cmake stage fails like this:
>
> $ cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"  ../
> -- Boost version: 1.60.0

/me groans. There's a boost 1.60 now? Consider this notice that it is a medium term goal of the PDAL project to eliminate its dependence on externally available Boost before its 2.0 release. Now that C++11 is quite stable just about everywhere, the impetus to reach for Boost for everything is not there anymore for PDAL. Their project release management leaves much to be desired, and because of it, packaging maintainers lag many versions behind current releases.

> -- Could NOT find GDAL (missing:  GDAL_INCLUDE_DIR) (Required is at least version "1.9.0")
> CMake Error at cmake/gdal.cmake:13 (message):

> I have gdal installed (version 2.0). It looks like it wants me to define GDAL_INCLUDE_DIR but to what location ? I tried setting up to the lib directory in my installation. I also tried defining GDAL_HOME and even GDAL_LIBRARY all to no effect.

> Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

PDAL's configure-time GDAL detection needs to support GDAL 2.0. Software-wise, GDAL 2.0 should be no problem except for maybe some deprecation warnings. PDAL currently only supports 1.11.x., however. I will make a patch to fix this and let you know.