[pdal] decimation-visualization

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sun Jan 11 22:11:19 PST 2015

> On Jan 11, 2015, at 6:47 PM, Chris Foster <chris.foster at roames.com.au> wrote:
>
> If you're looking for a flexible debugging tool, you might also be
> interested in my pet project:
>
> https://github.com/c42f/displaz
>
> It's got support for .las and .laz, but also has a .ply variant to
> visualize arbitrary attributes on the points.  It's desktop rather
> than web based (not fully buzzword compliant!), but on the upside it's
> fairly good at displaying reasonably large point clouds; a few hundred
> million points are not a problem.
>
> I did add initial support for using pdal as a reader backend a while
> ago,  but I think both projects have changed so much by now that it's
> unlikely to work anymore.  I'd like to update it to make it work
> again, I just haven't had time to do so yet.

Chris,

I made a pull request that implements just about everything with the latest PDAL codebase. It should work with any PDAL-readable, not just LAS files. Anything that you can pass into PDAL as a filename (file.las, file.xml, file.sqlite, etc) should be inferred and read.

I was unable to get things to fully compile on OSX due to some interesting and probably horrible OSX STL bug, but I was able to get past the PDAL parts anyway.

Hope this helps,

Howard

https://github.com/c42f/displaz/pull/34