[pdal] Request: add option for filename column

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Oct 5 06:32:06 PDT 2015

> On Oct 5, 2015, at 8:03 AM, Tom van Tilburg <tom.van.tilburg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am writing over a thousand laz files, all using the same PCID.
> Does this mean that I should better create one PCID for every file that I import?

Is there a downside to that strategy? You very likely want to have partitioned tables anyway, so you can quickly drop big chunks of data if you need. When our CRREL group manages a huge Oracle point cloud database, we utilize the partitioning approach which necessitates individual pcid (we group a bunch of logically-together files into a a single partition as needed) for each file.

You can use the post_sql option of the driver to write to a specific column for the specific file as you are loading. This would allow you to get the arrangement you want. It's not clear that you should work so hard to achieve it, though that's probably a question for the database folks rather than myself.