[pdal] PDAL Pipeline Extensibility

Rob Emanuele rdemanuele at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:36:01 PST 2016

I haven't had a need for it, but I'll comment on this: "application" is a
confusing term, and at first blush I read it as "shelling out to some
external application". Re-reading your description, I believe what this
feature would enable is to allow for JSON to be inserted into pipeline
stages that PDAL will completely ignore but not complain about. So in case
I was parsing the pipeline, or programmatically creating it/reading from it
in my own application outside of PDAL, I could insert any JSON I wanted to
and PDAL wouldn't have a problem with it (and not do anything with it). Is
that a correct read?

If that's correct, I would say instead of "application", some better terms
would be "tags", "userData", "userTags", or something along those lines.