[pdal] Build pdal with python 3

FE flatearth at gmx.net
Tue Feb 2 00:40:15 PST 2016

To my knowledge gcc on OS X is not gcc. It's a link to Apple LLVM which has a different versioning than original LLVM.
Here is the output for compiler versions on my machine:

mac:~ me$ clang --version
Apple LLVM version 7.0.2 (clang-700.1.81)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0
Thread model: posix

mac:~ me$ gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 7.0.2 (clang-700.1.81)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0
Thread model: posix

The GCC 4.2.1 reporting which you refer to is a reporting from python. At least to my understanding it means a GCC 4.2.1 compatibility of the Apple LLVM:

mac:~ me$ python
Python 2.7.11 (default, Dec  5 2015, 14:44:47)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 7.0.0 (clang-700.1.76)] on darwin

My machine is from 2015, has OS X 10.10.5 and up to date XCode. It has never seen something older. So I assume that I work with the original and most up to date Apple compiler.
I am not the most advanced expert in compilers and building software. But I would just like to receive some support in solving this python problem when building pdal. Docker is not an option for me.

Thanks,
Will

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> wrote:ok, I'm glad you were able to make some progress.

> On Feb 1, 2016, at 12:14 PM, flatearth at gmx.net[flatearth at gmx.net] wrote:
>
> Yes, I use the standard OS X clang compiler. I did not change any variable concerning this.
> The '#include <cstdint> thing' thing happened exactly the same when I compiled pdal against python 2.7 and tried to 'pip install pdal' in a python 3 environment. Now that I compiled against homebrew python 3.5 i can 'pip install pdal' on conda 3.5 without that error messages.
> Only with python 3.4 this error still remains. The only difference I can see ist that for python 3.4 I have to use a conda python environment and not the homebrew or system python.
>
> I also tried to solve the #include <cstdint> error by using '#include <tr1/cstdint>'. This solves the specific error but multiple new errors follow...

Your compiler is reporting GCC 4.2.1, which is from 2007.  We just don't support compilers that old and things may or may not work in lots of ways.  You can use our docker image if you can't upgrade compilers or find a suitable binary.
 --
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com[andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com]