[pdal] Can't build PDAL on debian; c++ warning in Ilvis2MetadataReader treated as error

Jo Walsh metazool at fastmail.net
Sun Feb 14 05:51:19 PST 2016

dear PDAL hackers,

Thanks for your work. I'm very new to PDAL and not a C++ hacker, so I'm
a bit stumped by the following error when I try to build PDAL on debian
wheezy. Please excuse me if it turns out to be a basic configuration
thing :/

  [  4%] Building CXX object
  io/ilvis2/CMakeFiles/reader_ilvis2.dir/Ilvis2MetadataReader.cpp.o
  /home/jo/PDAL/io/ilvis2/Ilvis2MetadataReader.cpp: In member function
  ‘bool pdal::Ilvis2MetadataReader::nodeElementIs(xmlNodePtr,
  std::string)’:
  /home/jo/PDAL/io/ilvis2/Ilvis2MetadataReader.cpp:629:60: error: cast
  from type ‘const char*’ to type ‘xmlChar* {aka unsigned char*}’ casts
  away qualifiers [-Werror=cast-qual]
     return (xmlStrcmp(node->name, (xmlChar*)expected.c_str()) == 0);
                                                            ^
cc1plus: all warnings being treated as errors
io/ilvis2/CMakeFiles/reader_ilvis2.dir/build.make:77: recipe for target
'io/ilvis2/CMakeFiles/reader_ilvis2.dir/Ilvis2MetadataReader.cpp.o'
failed

I have LIBXML2. I can't see what's going wrong from this but I notice
that it's relatively new work:
https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/blob/master/io/ilvis2/Ilvis2MetadataReader.cpp#L629

Any advice would be appreciated, I really want to play with PDAL!

--
  Jo Walsh
  metazool at fastmail.net