[pdal] JSON pipelines

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu Mar 10 09:09:12 PST 2016

> On Mar 10, 2016, at 10:47 AM, Bradley Chambers <brad.chambers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For many pipelines, the JSON representation is much easier on the eyes. For example, a simple conversion from LAS to LAZ in XML is:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <Pipeline version="1.0">
>     <Writer type="writers.las">
>         <Option name="filename">
>             output.laz
>         </Option>
>         <Reader type="readers.las">
>             <Option name="filename">
>                 input.las
>             </Option>
>         </Reader>
>     </Writer>
> </Pipeline>
>
> In JSON, this is simplified to:
>
> {
>     "pipeline":[
>         "input.las",
>         "output.laz"
>     ]
> }

Brad,

Thanks so much for providing so much effort on this. I hope it simplifies the somewhat confusing inside-out XML stuff for people, and it makes it much easier to integrate PDAL in other processing chains.

> Of course, if you'd rather not make the switch, the PDAL pipeline command, for now, will continue to accept XML pipelines.

The writing is on the wall, however. We will commit to support XML pipelines for three or so releases, and then as-needed going forward from that. If you are building new functionality, please build it with JSON.