[pdal] Setting buffers on point clouds

Maxson, Michele L ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH CIV Michele.L.Maxson at erdc.dren.mil
Tue May 3 13:15:57 PDT 2016

Is it possible to set buffers on tiled point cloud data?  For example, I would like to split (spatially) a point cloud into several more manageable sized point clouds for processing.  I would like each new tile to have a few meters of overlapping points in neighboring tiles that are flagged by an attribute as 'overlap' so that when ground filters, DEMs, and other filters are run on each tile there will not be edge effects at the intersections of the abutting tiles.  I'd like them tiled first because the scans are currently overlapping and I would like to run other filters on the entire dataset and not just a per scan basis, but merging the files first creates an LAZ file that is too large to handle.  I'm open to other ideas and solutions as well.

Michele L. Maxson, GISP
Research Physical Scientist
Cold Regions Research and Engineering Lab
72 Lyme Road
Hanover, NH 03755
Office: 603-646-4122
Mobile: 937-631-1915