[pdal] Chunking/streaming support

Jason Overland joverland at lizardtech.com
Mon May 23 15:02:44 PDT 2016

Hi,
I'm trying to use PDAL's C++ API to read BPF files and integrate it into our existing API.  In our API we expose an iterator called PointIterator which is constructed from a file and a region (bounding box).  Our PointIterator has a getNextPoints() method which walks the specified region of the point cloud until there are no more points to extract.  To work within this existing API we would like to use a chunking/streaming/stripping/iteration mechanism, i.e. read at most n points at a time from the file, stop and return execution to our API user's code, and then continue where we left off on the next call to getNextPoints(), rinse and repeat until we've read all the points we're interested in.  I've been looking at the Streaming support as exemplified in StreamingTest.cpp but haven't quite been able to wrap my head around whether or not what I'm trying to achieve is currently possible.

I suspect I'm not the first or last to want this so maybe I'm just not connecting some of the dots in the API.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might achieve this?

Thanks,
Jason