[pdal] Possible bug related to forked pipelines

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Nov 14 04:33:11 PST 2016

Hi.

I have a few use cases where it would be beneficial to create a forked pipeline, i.e. one that generates
several outputs from the same input-file, but I am having some trouble achieving that.
If I understand the documentation correctly it should be possible by using the tags and inputs keywords
in a pipeline. Something like this:

{
  "pipeline":[
    {
        "type": "readers.las",
        "filename": "input.las",
        "tag": "A"
    },
    {
        "inputs": "A",
        "type": "writers.gdal",
        "resolution": 0.4,
        "radius": 0.7,
        "filename": "Z.tif",
        "dimension": "Z",
        "output_type": "mean
    },
    {
        "inputs": "A",
        "type": "writers.gdal",
        "resolution": 0.4,
        "radius": 0.7,
        "filename": "intensity.tif",
        "dimension": "Intensity",
        "output_type": "mean"
      ]
}

That is, use the new gdal writer (which is awesome, btw) to grid two or more dimensions of a las-file.
When I run this particular pipeline I get the following error:

"PDAL: writers.gdal: specified dimension 'Intensity' does not exist."

which suggests that the last writer (intensity.tif) is trying to grid a dimension from the first writer
(Z.tif) instead of input.las. This is a bit confusing since I specifically instruct PDAL to read
from tag A defined in the first stage of the pipeline. Is this a bug or just me trying to do something
I was never meant to do?
I am working on a Windows 7 computer and PDAL was compiled with VS2015 from a fairly
new revision (2f57c0cf1703af51498f9dae71c9a70128c4c93a).

Regards,
Kristian