[pdal] vcomp100.dll missing?

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sat Nov 26 11:27:58 PST 2016

> On Nov 26, 2016, at 12:29 PM, Mike Alonzo <mikealonzo47 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks!
>
> I certainly see the appeal of Docker. However, as far as I can tell, I cannot run it on an Amazon instance (doesn't support virtualization since it itself is virtual, or something like that).

Docker runs great in AWS. They have an entire service dedicated to it called ECS [1], and PDAL reads and writes to S3 if you have libcurl headers around when it is compiled. You can choose to use ECS or roll your own. We've had lots of success running PDAL with both.

The PDAL build on OSGeo4W64 should probably be removed. It is extremely out of date and have not been kept up with OSGeo4W changes. Indeed if you want to simply use the PDAL command line apps [2], the fastest and least painful way to achieve that on windows is with Docker [3]. A full-featured Windows build is not available as a pre-built Windows binary, and as others have documented on the mailing list, there is some effort in that area, but nothing so organized as to provide an installer and support for it. PDAL is built and tested frequently on Windows by the continuous integration system, and most things should work for those capable of compiling things themselves.

A nicely integrated Windows install, based on OSGeo4W64 or otherwise, is a lot of work to start and even more constant resource drag to maintain. It needs contribution to make it happen, and it requires enough specialized experience and skill. A bunch of pieces are there, but there is still plenty to do to complete the integration.

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/ecs/
[2] http://www.pdal.io/apps/index.html
[3] http://www.pdal.io/quickstart.html