[pdal] Is PDAL capable of producing Lidar grid metrics?

Aaron Poznanovic aaron at redfoxgis.com
Thu Sep 1 06:22:29 PDT 2016

Greetings,

This is a follow-up to a question posted over at GIS Stack Exchange (
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/175454/are-pdal-or-pcl-capable-of-producing-lidar-grid-metrics).
I'm curious what functionality or approach one would take with PDAL to
calculate Lidar grid metrics?

FUSION is currently the best available set of tools that I know of for
calculating Lidar grid metrics, which are useful for describing forest
structure (http://forsys.cfr.washington.edu/fusion/fusionlatest.html). From
the FUSION documentation (page 70 from the documentation
http://forsys.cfr.washington.edu/fusion/FUSION_manual.pdf):

GridMetrics computes a series of descriptive statistics for a LIDAR data
set. Output is a raster (grid) represented in database form with each
record corresponding to a single grid cell.

Essentially, I'm interested in producing a raster dataset where each cell
represents summarized descriptive statistics for the Lidar point cloud such
as cover, skewness, 75th percentile, etc (all of the grid metrics I'm after
are available on the FUSION documentation. Is this currently possible, or
recommended, with PDAL, or would this require other libraries? Many thanks
in advance.

Best Regards,

-Aaron

Currently