[pdal] Is PDAL capable of producing Lidar grid metrics?

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Thu Sep 1 07:20:22 PDT 2016

Aaron,
You can do most of this in GRASS GIS 7.2svn using r.in.lidar to create
individual rasters for each metric.
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.in.lidar.html .  It corrects the
z values to height above ground when you designate a base raster DEM and
you can give it a text list of las/laz files to process as a single unit.
I'm using it to process county-wide QL2 density in North Carolina for
canopy metrics and have processed data in 10billion point blacks at a time.

I find canopy cover to be a somewhat subjective metric , based on bare
earth points, which varies depending on the method used to extract bare
earth points.

Doug

Doug

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Aaron Poznanovic <aaron at redfoxgis.com>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This is a follow-up to a question posted over at GIS Stack Exchange (
> http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/175454/are-pdal-or-
> pcl-capable-of-producing-lidar-grid-metrics). I'm curious what
> functionality or approach one would take with PDAL to calculate Lidar grid
> metrics?
>
> FUSION is currently the best available set of tools that I know of for
> calculating Lidar grid metrics, which are useful for describing forest
> structure (http://forsys.cfr.washington.edu/fusion/fusionlatest.html).
> From the FUSION documentation (page 70 from the documentation
> http://forsys.cfr.washington.edu/fusion/FUSION_manual.pdf):
>
> GridMetrics computes a series of descriptive statistics for a LIDAR data
> set. Output is a raster (grid) represented in database form with each
> record corresponding to a single grid cell.
>
> Essentially, I'm interested in producing a raster dataset where each cell
> represents summarized descriptive statistics for the Lidar point cloud such
> as cover, skewness, 75th percentile, etc (all of the grid metrics I'm after
> are available on the FUSION documentation. Is this currently possible, or
> recommended, with PDAL, or would this require other libraries? Many thanks
> in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> -Aaron
>
> Currently
>

> Aaron J. Poznanovic, GISP
> Principal Consultant
> Red Fox GIS & Remote Sensing
> (218) 387-4050
> www.redfoxgis.com

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.
As a federal employee, my email may be subject to FOIA request.