[pgpointcloud] update attribute

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue Nov 5 12:27:15 PST 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Oscar Martinez Rubi <O.MartinezRubi at tudelft.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any recommendation on how to proceed when need to update some attribute (for example Intensity) in some points of a block?
>
> I mean, I can unpack the block, change the values, repack the block, and replace old block by new block...but it does not seem very elegant to me.

Elegance costs. If you want fully updateable points, why not simply use one point per row instead of bothering at all with this stuff at all? pgpointcloud probably could stand some more convenience functions to make updating attributes possible, but behind the scenes it's going to be doing exactly as you describe. While the cost to properly index every attribute (and every point too if you wanted spatial indexes) is probably too much for most folks to take on when storing point cloud data, it would be a nice feature for pgpointcloud to have.

Howard