[pgpointcloud] Homebrew formula

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Wed May 14 08:53:16 PDT 2014

On May 14, 2014, at 10:19 AM, Pete Gadomski <pete.gadomski at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I've created a head-only Homebrew formula for pgpointcloud:
> https://github.com/gadomski/homebrew-headonly/tree/new/pgpointcloud
>
> Homebrew (http://brew.sh) is a (widely used) package manager for OSX.
> Packages are described by and installed from formula, which are simple
> Ruby scripts.
>
> Since pgpointcloud's cmake support was added after the v0.1.0 tag, for
> now I've created the pgpointcloud formula as 'head only', so it can only
> be used to install pgpointcloud from the `master` branch on Github. I
> did not create the formula for the main Homebrew repository because
> Homebrew has a policy to not accept any 'head only' formula. If
> pgpointcloud got a new tag (v0.2.0?), I could submit my formula to the
> main Homebrew repository instead, which would make the formula a bit
> more findable.
>
> I've included the option to build pgpointcloud with libght, though that
> option is disabled by default (it can be enabled with a `brew install
> pgpointcloud --with-libght`). The libght dependency is currently in pull
> request on the main Homebrew repository
> (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/pull/29244), so I will wait until
> libght is accepted before submitting pgpointcloud's formulae to
> homebrew-headonly.

It might be easier to submit this to osgeo4mac, which contains a ton of other OSGeo software. AFAIK, Homebrew doesn't take HEAD-only recipes anymore, and I had to make releases of Hexer and points2grid to satisfy some osgeo4mac requirements. libght and pgpointcloud will likely require real release numbers to be included as well.