[pgpointcloud] pg pointcloud with Postgres-XL?

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Mon May 30 02:49:26 PDT 2016

I wonder if anyone has tried out and had success with the PG Point Cloud
extension with Postgres-XL, the clustering version of Postgres? I am
running through the basic
exercises and see it all almost, but not quite, working. I tried the
Postgres-XL general list without any luck in response, so thought it
worth re-posting here to see if it's something people have given
thought to.

http://www.postgres-xl.org/overview/

I am able to CREATE EXTENSION pointcloud on a Postgres-XL coordinator node
just as straightforwardly as with PostGIS, which works well.

However, the pgpointcloud creates a table pointcloud_formats which
does not appear to be getting distributed.
The table looks like this:

testdb=# \d++ pointcloud_formats;
                  Table "public.pointcloud_formats"
 Column |  Type   | Modifiers | Storage  | Stats target | Description
--------+---------+-----------+----------+--------------+-------------
 pcid   | integer | not null  | plain    |              |
 srid   | integer |           | plain    |              |
 schema | text    |           | extended |              |
    "pointcloud_formats_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (pcid)
Check constraints:
    "pointcloud_formats_pcid_check" CHECK (pcid > 0 AND pcid < 65536)
    "pointcloud_formats_schema_check" CHECK (pc_schemaisvalid(schema))

When I INSERT into it, data does not end up stored in the datanodes, and
when I subsequently try to INSERT into the points table,

ERROR:  no entry in "pointcloud_formats" for pcid = 1

Despite the fact that on the coordinator node I can SELECT from
pointcloud_formats and see a row with pcid=1.

There's more context including log entries in my original post to the
Postgres-XL list here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/postgres-xl/mailman/message/35119267/

I know this is a long shot but any illumination would be appreciated,

Jo