[pgrouting-dev] New website for review

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Sun Nov 14 08:13:10 EST 2010

Hi list,

It has started many months ago, but I'm glad to say there is some visible
output now.
I created a new pgRouting website, built with Sphinx, and I copied the
relevant content from current TRAC wiki.

If you have a time, please take a look at the current version and tell me,
if something is missing.
Let me know if you have ideas what could be done better:
http://update.pgrouting.org/
(on the first page the "news" block and the "callout" to add some banners
like the one for FOSS4G 2011 for example are still missing)

If everything looks OK, I would propose to change to the new website in
about a week or so.

Next steps would be then:

   - Copy relevant tickets from TRAC to GitHub (-> Anton)
   - Cache the discussion forum as HTML and upload it to
   http://download.osgeo.org/pgrouting/forum/
   - Prepare redirect from current http://pgrouting.postlbs.org to
   http://www.pgrouting.org (also try to redirect missing links as good as
   possible) (-> Orkney)
   - Change DNS record of pgrouting.org (Daniel)
   - Make the change final and announce it.

If someone wants to help with the website, fix typos or add/edit content,
I'm happy to add you as a committer to the repository on Github.
There is a cron job running on the server that checks the Git repository
every hour and updates the website if there are changes.

Aside the website, a few other things have changed, mostly related to GitHub
hosting:

   - All pgRouting related repositories will be in
   https://github.com/pgRouting
      - pgrouting (library): https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting
      - website: https://github.com/pgRouting/website
      - workshop (FOSS4G 2010): https://github.com/pgRouting/workshop
      - osm2pgrouting: https://github.com/pgRouting/osm2pgrouting
      - pgrouting-contrib:
https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting-contrib (place
      to collect wrapper functions, examples, etc.)

Especially to "pgrouting-contrib" and "website" I want to add anyone as
committer, who would like to contribute, without restrictions.
For all other repositories I hope that Git will make it easier to propose
changes and patches by creating your own fork and sending "pull requests" to
apply changes to the pgRouting repository.

It has been a long way.

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de