[pgrouting-dev] OSGeo server migration troublesystem

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Tue Oct 26 23:09:09 EDT 2010

Hi PSC members (and others),

It has been a long time since we started to migrate pgRouting to OSGeo
server, and so far we could get

   - Mailing lists
   - Download directory

But Subversion repository setup is stuck now for months, and even if it was
promised to me several times, it didn't happen yet. (Several emails over the
months haven't had any success)
I feel we reached a point, where waiting for the SVN repository is blocking
further development and we're losing possible contributions from the
community (probably we already did).

So I would like to propose to not wait any longer and move to some other
hosting provider for the pgRouting source code (and osm2pgRouting).
There are many options:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software

I think it makes sense to chose one, that developers are familiar with, for
example

   - Sourceforge
   - Github
   - Gitourious
   - Launchpad
   - Bitbucket
   - Google Code

Personally I would be in favor to switch from Subversion to a distributed
revision control such as Git or Mercurial, because it would make it easier
to contribute code and would hopefully increase the number of developers.

Regarding TRAC I would prefer to

   - Close the current Forum/Discussion, make the current content a static
   website and make it available on OSGeo download server
   - Use GIS Stackexchange instead of the forum for those, who don't like
   mailing lists: http://gis.stackexchange.com/
   - Use the ticket/bug tracker of the source code hosting provider
   - Write documentation/website content with Sphinx/ReST and host it in the
   repository (we can then create HTML and upload it to a server, ie.
   Georepublic server, accessible under pgrouting.org)

Any opinions?

Otherwise, please vote for the following questions:

   1. Stop waiting for SVN migration to OSGeo server and chose an
   alternative revision control hosting?
   2. Switch from Subversion to distributed revision control (DVCS)?
   3. Which DVCS would you prefer?
   4. Shutdown current TRAC as described above?

Best regards,
Daniel

PS: probably in a few days Chris will tell me that he setup pgRouting SVN
repository on OSGEo servers ;-)

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de