[pgrouting-dev] OSGeo server migration troublesystem

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Oct 27 01:42:51 EDT 2010

Thank you for comments, Steve!

A few answers from my side:

>>  Personally I would be in favor to switch from Subversion to a
>> distributed revision control such as Git or Mercurial, because it would
>> make it easier to contribute code and would hopefully increase the
>> number of developers.
>>

> I guess at some point I need to learn Git as it seems some of the other
> projects are also moving there. I think the OpenLayers team did a test
> migration to GitHub which gave the developers and community a change to
> learn about it and figure things out before without the risk of things
> getting messed up because people did not understand how it worked. This
> might be a good idea regardless.
>
> I personally like svn/trac, but that is what I know and I'm ok with
> learning something new.

I used Git for the pgRouting workshop with Frederic and it wasn't difficult
to learn.
I heard people say that DVCS make an open source project more open for
contributions.

I think that one real problem of SVN is, that you can't really do changes to
some checked out repository and still stay in sync with changes of the main
branch. There are workarounds, but for everyone without commit right to the
repository Git should be a big win.

>  Regarding TRAC I would prefer to
>>
>>    * Close the current Forum/Discussion, make the current content a
>>      static website and make it available on OSGeo download server
>>    * Use GIS Stackexchange instead of the forum for those, who don't
>>      like mailing lists: http://gis.stackexchange.com/
>>

> I assume we are keeping the mailing list.

Yes, I think so, too. It seems this wasn't clear in my email before.
I also want to keep the download directory on OSGeo server, because it's
good to have release tarballs, workshop data, etc. on a reliable server.

>     * Use the ticket/bug tracker of the source code hosting provider
>>

> I think we need to know what that might be. The OL team was very
> unimpressed with the Git tracker if I recall correctly. In fact I think they
> opt'ed to stay on Trac. We do not need to follow their lead, but again this
> might be something we want to look into to see if it is usable. I suspect
> our requirements are somewhat lower given the amount of activity we have.

Yes, maybe TRAC has more advanced features for tickets, but sometimes
simpler and less features doesn't need to be worse. As you see with
pgRouting it's also possible to create a ticket mess with TRAC ;-)

> I'll support any and all of these changes since I'm not doing the work but
> in reality I don't think infrastructure is the block to changes and
> releases. At the moment we have very limited bandwidth with Anton as the
> only developer and he is busy. I hear that you are hoping to make things
> more accessible with these changes and we can all hope it will attract some
> new blood to the team.

Actually I received a couple of emails this summer with code improvements
and good ideas and offer to contribute.
I thought that it would be just a short time to wait for SVN on OSGeo
servers, so instead of asking Orkney for new SVN dumps every week I decided
to wait (which wasn't a good idea probably).
My hope with Git is, that contributors can just commit to their pgRouting
fork and we can then integrate improvements into pgRouting main branch. I
hope that this makes collaboration easier.

> I do think that we should keep the old infrastructure in place while we
> test the new setup and make sure we can use it, in case we want to back up
> and try something else if it is not working out well for us. It is just the
> prudent thing to do. We can have a future vote on making the migration
> permanent and committing the final efforts to convert docs, etc.

Yes, we can keep it as long as Orkney keeps the server running.
Forum/Discussion though I would like to close because it has not many people
there reply to questions. Probably Stackoverflow is easier to handle.

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de