[pgrouting-dev] PostGIS and pgRouting

Anton Patrushev anton.patrushev at georepublic.de
Fri Sep 10 10:17:19 EDT 2010

Dear list,

Today we have very interesting discussion with PostGIS team at the
FOSS4G 2010 Codesprint.
It suddenly happened that PostGIS wants to make pgRouting its part
somewhere closer to 2.1 release next year.

It requires some work from both sides of course (mostly from our
side), but the goal is feasible in this time I think.
It is mostly cleaning up the code and (oh no!) documentation, getting
rid of some dependencies (I am also dying to remove CGAL), blending
into their building procedure and infrastructure. They are going to
migrate to cmake (the thing we already have) and are waiting for some
help from our side.

I think it is win-win situation - PostGIS gets cool new feature while
pgRouting hopefully gets bigger user and I hope developer base,
becomes a part of fantastic big project and sneaks to OSGeo for free
:-)

I don't put this for voting yet and keep from discussing first steps,
because this movement is still to be approved by PostGIS PSC, but I
wanted share the exciting news and I'm dying to know your opinion.

Cheers,
Anton.