[pgrouting-dev] Time dependent data and input format

Jay Mahadeokar jai.mahadeokar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 15:14:06 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Steve, Daniel, thanks for the input.

Well, I have written the plsql function on lines of what you suggested, for
the data format that I had created earlier and it seems to be working for
now, with cyclic issue also taken into account and all times offset from
query_start_time.

I have updated the code in gsoc-tdsp repository[1] .

I also changed the existing tdsp.h, tdsp.c and weight_map.hpp files so that
end_time is also taken into account (I had written a more complex code
earlier and thought end_time was redundant and wasn't necessary, corrected
that now).

So, now basically the tdsp query expects a data from time_dep_costs table as
set of rows: edge_id, start_time, end_time, travel_time.

Example:

SELECT * FROM time_dependent_shortest_path('
                SELECT gid as id,
                         source::integer,
                         target::integer,
                         length::double precision as cost
                        FROM ways',
                81, 359, true, false,'select edge_id, start_time, end_time,
travel_time from pgr_get_time_dep_costs(''time_dep_costs'',14,12)',0);

Here 6th parameter is the nested pgr function.

I think there is no need to pass query_start_time to the main
time_dep_shortest_path function since we are passing it to nested function
and that will always be 0 in main query (parameter 7).

Also, the parameters is_directed and has_reverse_cost seem redundant, since
in this case graph will be always directed I think. So, maybe these can be
removed.

Next step would be to write similar plsql functions for most standard data
formats. If you can suggest the most obvious cases, I can start working on
that.

[1]
https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/blob/gsoc-tdsp/extra/tdsp/sql/tdsp_data_wrappers.sql

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Stephen Woodbridge <
woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> cyclic nature and other things.
>>
>> We can have two approaches:
>>
>> 1. Take some specific case like day and time, and write down code that
>> will take care of above thing. When we bundle this for with pgRouting
>> the query will become specific to that format.
>> Whenever a new data format is there, someone will need to re-code step
>> 2. Since, this is internal to pgRouting, this cannot be done by
>> application developer. Then we would need to recompile whole thing as a
>> separate query before using it.
>>
>> 2. We could implement specific functions that can be used as query to
>> time_dep_costs. Those can be installed as separate pgRouting functions
>> itself. For simple applications where the data is in intervals of 24
>> hours, and cyclic we can just provide a postgres plsql function and it
>> should serve the function. I am not good at plsql, but I believe it is a
>> very flexible tool and can be used for complex data formats as well
>> (thoughts?)
>>
>> I think approach 2 is much better and it keeps the main tdsp query
>> independent of the data format. We just need to write plsql functions
>> for different data formats and supply those as sql argument to tdsp
>> query to retrieve data from time_dep_costs table.
>>
>> If you think this is a good approach, I can start learning plsql in
>> detail and work on writing retrieval functions for specific data formats.
>>
>> Is this model right? I can go ahead and start work on that.
>>

> Yes, I think approach 2 is the better model because application developer
> should not be required to recompile anything.
>
> plsql is very straight forward, and I think we can all help with the
> learning curve or even coding some of it if we have time. I think if you
> assume a set returning function then you have inputs and a record structure
> of your results. The function takes the inputs and returns a set of records.
> So for example:
>
> -- define an output record structure as a type
> -- using pgr_ as namespace for function, change as appropriate
>
> create type pgr_time_dep_costs as (
>  edge_id int,
>  time_start float,
>  time_stop float,
>  avg_speed float,
>  transit_time float
> );
>

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION pgr_get_time_dep_costs(**schedule_tab text,
> start_date_time timestamp, max_time_duration_sec int, ...)
>  RETURNS SETOF pgr_time_dep_costs AS
> $BODY$
> DECLARE
>  out pgr_time_dep_costs;
>
> BEGIN
>
>  LOOP
>    -- compute values of out from the input
>
>    -- load the values into out
>    out.edge_id     := ...;
>    out.time_start  := ...;
>    out.time_stop   := ...;
>    out.avg_spd     := ...;
>    out.tansit_time := ...;
>
>    RETURN NEXT out; -- return an out record

This is pretty basic, but it should help get you started.

--
Regards,
-Jay Mahadeokar