[pgrouting-dev] Licensing for Co-development between OpenGraphRouter and pgRouting

Anton Patrushev anton.patrushev at georepublic.de
Thu Jun 2 21:12:45 EDT 2011

Hi Steve,

I believe pgRouting is under GPLv3 - I think we changed from v2 last
year. For me GPL/MIT dual licensing looks a bit strange, I mean I
can't imagine a case when one would prefer GPL.

MIT is GPL compatible and I see no problem with PostGIS which is also under GPL.

By the way, we already have GPL/QPL compatibility issue :)

Anton.

On 5/27/11, Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
> Hi PSC,
>
> I have been talking with Roni about doing more development for
> OpenGraphRouter and to possible integrate that with pgRouting. The first
> issue I see is that of licensing. OpenGraphRouter is using an MIT-X
> style license (and wants to stay that way) and I believe pgRouting is
> using a GPLv2 License.
>
> So I think this means we can move OpenGraphRouter code into pgRouting,
> which would make that code dual licensed, ie code used in pgRouting
> would become GPLv2, but the original in OpenGraphRouter would remain
> MIT-X, but we could not move pgRouting code into OpenGraphRouter.
>
> One of my goals as we move forward is that code we develop should be
> have a reference implementation in a command line tool in
> OpenGraphRouter and a reference implementation with in pgRouting.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thoughts on the licensing issues?
>
> Would there be any interest in supporting a similar dual licensing in
> pgRouting? This might not be possible because Postgresql/PostGIS licensing.
>
> Frank, Paul, can you comment please.
>
> Thanks,
>    -Steve

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)