[pgrouting-dev] Licensing for Co-development between OpenGraphRouter and pgRouting

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jun 3 10:38:26 EDT 2011

Hi Anton,

I'm cc'ing Ashraf, not sure if he is on the list.

This would be great and I would love to have you support and expertise
on this. So first thing is I think we should pick one routing function,
like Dijkstra just to keep it simple and replicate that in
opengraphrouter and create pgRouting equivalent wrappers.

The goal for this is to:

1. understand the process involved
2. allow Roni (Ashraf) to familiarize himself with postgresql server
implementation
3. review new code from a GPL free point of view

So for the Dijkstra I think we need to review the various layering in
the code for example:

1. pgpsql function calls; input and output preserved
these should be preserved for compatibility but we could add new ones to
access new functionality

2. interface to opengraphrouter library
2a. what are the common public data structures, ie graph structures?
2b. what are the function input and outputs
2c. what if any are common utilities
2d. what is the C-API to opengraphrouter? is what this boils down to

To some extent we could go through the existing pgRouting docs for much
of this information on the pgRouting side. For the opengraphrouter side
of things, I do not want to get to formal, and I think that writing 2-3
of these functions will pretty quickly cause us to refactor into a
useful api.

We might want to move opengraphrouter to git-hub eventually, but I'm not
very familiar with git-hub yet and still have to read the svn-git
tutorial to do simple stuff.

Thoughts?

-Steve