[pgrouting-dev] Building TRSP branch

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jun 12 08:14:35 PDT 2012

On 6/12/2012 10:54 AM, Steve Horn wrote:
> We have a function that performs anywhere between 10 and 800 shortest
> paths at a time, and we are trying to speed that up.

What are these routes used for afterwards? TSP?
When I built a TSP solver in routing engine I wrote, I ran Dijkstra once
for each "city" and extracted ALL the costs to the other "cities" from
this "city". This means if you have 10 nodes you only have to run 10
solutions, not 10*10 solutions.

You can do this with a modified version of the driving distance code
that allows you to extract the solved Dijkstra tree so you can extract
all the needed routes from the start node to all the other "cities".

The other potential performance boost would be to write a solver where
you pass it the graph edges and a list of start and end nodes. Then you
can build the graph once and solve it for each pair of start, stop
nodes. This would eliminate the multiple graph builds assuming that are
all in the same graph region to start with. I would return results like:

route#, seq#, node#, edge#, cost

where route# = 1..number_of_input_pairs
       seq# is just 1..n for the edges in that route's result
and the rest are the same as the current solution sets.

-Steve