[pgrouting-dev] 2.0 branch CGAL dependency and GEOS 3.4dev

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri May 10 07:13:11 PDT 2013

On 5/10/2013 9:53 AM, Stephen Mather wrote:
> Apologies for the last e-mail with vague subject line.  Another thought
> on pgRouting dependencies-- any plans for cgal to be dropped once GEOS
> 3.4 is readily available?  It seems like it could be with Delaunay being
> on GEO 3.4dev, but I don't know when the line gets moved for minimum
> GEOS version (obviously sometime after it's no longer a dev version).

Yes, that is the ultimate plan. We have a little chicken vs egg issue in
that we need the new postgis functions so we can rewrite our code as you
point out. We also have to be careful to not set the required postgis
version too high too soon, because that will be a problem for the
packagers where new releases lag behind.

We have another options:

1. I have code that I could contribute as an interim solution, but that
seems like a lot of work.

2. we could provide both a CGAL (depreciated) and a postgis SQL only
solution that would only work if you have GEOS 3.4 install.

So we will see how this evolves, given other work, release deadlines,
pull requests, funding, etc.

Thanks,
   -Steve W