[pgrouting-dev] How many people use the wrapper functions?

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon May 13 09:46:09 PDT 2013

>  I also learned what I know of PL/pgSQL by modifying the wrappers and I
>> would have had a really hard time implementing the 'edge splitting' on
>> my own. So I'm really grateful I found the wrappers. On the other hand
>> the wrapper I used wasn't even included in pgrouting, so I guess we'd be
>> safe to have them outside the distribution, either in the docs or as an
>> external download.
>>

> Daniel and I have discussed adding a contrib directory, but then we get a
> lot of stuff, that we don't know if it work with the current release. I
> think we would be more inclined to have a wiki page that links to 3rd party
> github projects or have a tips and tricks wiki page. The ideal situation is
> that we link to a page the you maintain because that de-clutters the
> pgrouting maintained pages and files.

The idea of the "pgrouting-contrib" repository was to provide a place for a
collection of user-contributed wrapper functions.
But as you can see, the repository has been mostly inactive and there was
no second wrapper added ever to the initial one.
So this was probably not a smart way to solve this ;-)

Github Wiki pages are also somehow difficult to organize.
Maybe Gist (https://gist.github.com/) + list on a Wiki page would be better
... but in the end it's important that someone is willing to share his code.

I don't want to maintain the current (arbitrary) wrapper functions just to
have some examples, but I know that it is difficult to find good resources
about writing in pl/pgsql, and it's usually best to learn from good
examples.
Right now I think that having some useful recipes and code snippets in the
documentation would be best. And we could start the list of "Gists" with a
few good wrapper examples, and then hope that more people will contribute
with even better examples.

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de