[pgrouting-dev] Version, version, who has the version

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue May 28 20:53:36 PDT 2013

On 5/28/2013 11:40 PM, Daniel Kastl wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Stephen Woodbridge
> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com <mailto:woodbri at swoodbridge.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/28/2013 10:14 PM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>

>         What about just one "pgr_version()" function?
>         I don't get the use case where we need two of them ;-)
>
>         I think "pgr_version()" should then return the "full" version.
>

>     I'm fine with have to two functions.
>
>     pgr_full_version()  - this would be the full string with everything
>     pgr_version()       - this should match version of extension like:
>                            2.0.0-dev in pgrouting--2.0.0-dev.sql
>
>     The full version string is what we want for bug reporting.
>     The version is what you might want to use in an application to
>     construct if clauses based on features available in this or that
>     version of the software.
>

> What about
>
> pgr_version() -> should match version of extension
> pgr_version("full") -> full string with everything  (could be also "debug")
>
> I know this is not really important discussion, but we did so well in
> decreasing the number of functions and then we're having multiple ones
> for just getting the version information ;-)
> Also I had to add two pages to the function reference somehow.
>
> I still like the idea to return a record, because someone could pick
> what is important if used for an application, like:
>
> SELECT * FROM pgr_version();
>
> version   | tag     | build | hash     | branch
> ----------+---------+-------+----------+---------------
> 2.0.0-dev | v2.0dev | 271   | g6eeef9b | sew-devel-2_0
>
> So one could get the version with SELECT version FROM pgr_version() in
> case they really use it for some application for example;

This would require defining a new TYPE, I suppose I we could return
text[] then you could use array_to_string() to concat them with hyphens.

I don't like the idea of passing arguments to get different strings,
because I have not seen it on any other apps.

I would just have leave it as two functions and put them both on one doc
page. Or if you want it parsed return a text[] array. I'm happy to make
the changes that is trivial.

-Steve