[pgrouting-dev] Version, version, who has the version

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Tue May 28 22:00:05 PDT 2013

> 2. I have added a top-level file VERSION and tools/pre-commit hook to keep
> it updated. Daniel you will have to copy tools/pre-commit to
> .git/hooks/pre-commit
>
> I'm not sure how much I like this. I have tried a post-commit hook which
> updates the local file with the hash and build info after the commit in the
> local copy but not the copy send to github and the pre-commit hook updates
> the file with the has BEFORE the commit so it always reflects and state
> before the commit, but that also means the number in the file will match
> what is on the server.
>
> BTW, It is not possible to set the hash of a current commit into a file
> that is getting committed because the hash IS based on the content of the
> files committed, so you get infinite recursion!

How do you manage to get the updated VERSION file to be part of the last
commit?
I added the pre-commit file as you said, but every time I commit, the
VERSION file changes and is marked as modified. And on the Github
repository I'm theoretically always one commit hash behind.

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de