[pgrouting-dev] Version numbering suggestion

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Dec 25 17:19:48 PST 2014

Hi Regina,

Rightly or wrongly the versioning that I was trying to impose (assuming
I remember this correctly) was something along the line of:

Master should represent the current stable tagged released version.
(currently 2.0.0)

We created branches:

  develop-2_0_1 from the 2.0.0 released master for bug fixes, probably
have not toggled the version number yet because it is a "develop" branch

  develop from the 2.0.0 released master for the next release aka: 2.1.0
but probably have not toggled the version number as it is a "develop"
branch and we had no plan for the next release.

There are a lot of other branches that can be ignored and will get
cleaned up when we tackle the next release.

Maybe you can explain the versioning that postgis uses and what events
you use to change version numbers.

For us, develop is always the NEXT major in development release branch
and develop_X_X_X is a minor development bugfix release branch. And
master is the current stable tagged release.

I'm not opposed to changing this to make it easier for others to work
with us. This is just what I thought other projects were doing and
seemed to be a logical and simple to follow process.

Input is always welcome.

Thanks,
   -Steve