[pgrouting-dev] Version numbering suggestion

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Dec 26 12:53:12 PST 2014

> but it creates the same confusion later because pgrouting-2.0.1 really
that or some prerelease develop leading up to the the release. This is only
clear if you look at the full version.

That's the reason in PostGIS we don't call it 2.0.1 we call iti 2.0 branch
but the version number on it is 2.0.1dev so we know it's not a released
branch.

It's true you can tell by looking at pgr_version() if you look hard enough
where it came from.

I'm more thinking along the lines of what the extension version says.

It's not an issue for pgRouting at the moment since to upgrade pgrouting you
just drop the pgrouting extension and then readd it.

But -- what happens when people start building functions around the
pgrouting functions or you have data types used by users, then you have the
problem that

Your extension is called 2.0.0 in both your release and your minor/micro
development branch.

So there would be no way for someone to do an extension upgrade, even if you
supported such a thing.

Thanks,
Regina