[pgrouting-dev] GSoC 2019

Stephen Woodbridge stephenwoodbridge37 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 06:51:36 PST 2019

Hello Guanzhong,

Here is an outline for Driving Directions that I wrote up a few years ago.

https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/wiki/Driving-Direction-Instructions

It discusses an approach to the problem and identifies some of the issue
that need to be overcome or worked around. One thing you might want to
do is to take a small data set like your city and get that working in
pgrouting, then following the outline above try to get some of the steps
working with that data. You can prototype this up in plpgsql stored
procedures. My original implementation was done in plpgsql which was
very fast and adequate for the task.

I would break this down into two major task:
1. the algorithms for generating the maneuvers and explicating the
directions
2. working out the details of how to make the solution generic

Step 1. sets many of the requirements for step 2, like what is the
minimum data needed for the analysis because this then needs to be
configured in the generic solution, etc.

I think this would be a very valuable contribution to pgrouting.

Best regards,
   -Steve