[pgrouting-dev] Versioning and Compatibility matrix

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Aug 25 12:50:28 PDT 2022

Sandeep,

Vicky is at OSGeo conference this week.  I’ll try to answer to the best of my knowledge and Vicky can correct me later.

We’ll work on setting up a matrix to clarify these questions.

My personal general advice is to use the latest pgRouting micro that is supported for your PostgreSQL version (and for whatever Boost you can reasonably get).  For example Boost Graph Library (Boost 1.56 is required for pgRouting 3.3.1), so if for whatever reason you need to use lower boost, you’d need to use 3.1.

Note that pgRouting lib files include the minor version.  E.g. 3.1 has library file:  libpgrouting-3.3 (however all new installs will reference the lib file designated in the .control file). This causes a bit of confusion, since a new minor pgRouting install doesn’t mean you are running the latest libraries, without a  ALTER EXTENSION pgrouting UPDATE;

And even if you do CREATE EXTENSION pgRouting VERSION “someversion”;   you might end up with the newer library but older sql scripts.

pgRouting 3-3.3 work for all supported versions of PostGIS (and even unsupported) – so PostGIS 2.5 -> upcoming PostGIS 3.3.0 (which will be released late this week or early next) should work for all.

Upgrading -  there can be breaking changes for the functions marked proposed or experimental, with experimental being more likely to have breakages than proposed.

https://docs.pgrouting.org/latest/en/proposed.html

https://docs.pgrouting.org/latest/en/experimental.html

For other functions, breakages should only be happening at the major level – e.g. 4.0 is going to have several breakages of core functions for example the TRSP and the loading functions.  If you see core functions broken between 3-3.3, then that is a bug that should be reported.

For PostgreSQL compatibility, pgRouting, latest will always be compatible with the latest PostgreSQL (e.g. 3.3 works with the upcoming PostgreSQL 15).

I have to double-check, but as I recall, I think the pgRouting 3.3.1 works for all supported versions of PostgreSQL (so 10 -15).  The older versions it really depends on when a PostgreSQL release came out.

The general philosophy is as soon as a breakage is found in a PostgreSQL beta, it is fixed in the latest pgRouting minor ( or soon to be released minor if the PostgreSQL version has not been released yet).  These changes aren’t backported.  So for example I think there was a change in PostgreSQL 12 beta that broke some pgRouting functionality I forget which release, but I don’t think this fix was backported to older releases.

Hope that helps,

Regina