[pgrouting-users] stuck at assign_vertex_id / tutorial

julien bourgeois alp.julien.bourgeois at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 21 06:02:53 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to create a routing graph database with pgrouting
following the steps given in
http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/wiki/WorkshopFOSS4G2007

The tutorial is great, but i'm missing some information.

* for which version of pgRouting is this tutorial valid ?

I tried several versions (and possibly messed up my installation).
Some seem to have the function assign_vertex_id with two parameters
only, while some others have it with four parameters.

* it would be nice to document more precisely how to get the victoria
dataset (nrn_rrn_bc_shp_en.zip contains a dozen of shapefiles, which one
should be considered?).

At the moment, pgRouting-1.0.0
(http://files.postlbs.org/pgrouting/binaries/pgRouting-1.0.0.a-0_win32.exe)
is installed, the victoria table was produced from a shapefile using
shp2pgsql.

I get stuck at assign_vertex_id with the following error message:

routing=# SELECT assign_vertex_id('victoria', 0.001, 'the_geom', 'gid');
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence
"vertices_tmp_id_seq" for serial column "vertices_tmp
.id"
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "CREATE TABLE vertices_tmp (id serial)"
PL/pgSQL function "assign_vertex_id" line 21 at execute statement
ERROR:  relation with OID 50154 does not exist
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT id, the_geom FROM vertices_tmp WHERE
distance(the_geom,  $1 ) <  $2 "
PL/pgSQL function "point_to_id" line 7 at SQL statement
PL/pgSQL function "assign_vertex_id" line 61 at assignment

Thanks for any input !

Julien