[pgrouting-users] directions problem

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Apr 15 17:58:50 EDT 2009

Valeria,

You need to think about the big picture of what you are trying to do here.

after you generate the route you have a list of segments. Each segment
can have some number of points. You also need to figure out if the
segments need to be flipped. That is did the route traverse the segment
from start to end or end to start?

you can only do this by comparing two segments at a time. Something like
this in pseudo code:

open cursor to results

first = true
last = fetch cursor

while (this = fetch cursor) {
   if (first) {
     check which end of last is connected to this
     flip last if needed
     trim the segment to the start point if needed
     first = false
   }
   if ( this needs to be flipped ) {
     flip this
   }
   compute azimuth of end of last and beginning of this
   turn = the change in direction
   if (last.name = this.name) {
     join this to last to compress out an extraneous maneuver
   }
}

this is the final segment in the route
trim it to the end point if needed.

close the cursor

You need to check for some degenerate cases like the whole route in on a
single segment, etc.

If you think about this problem in terms of layers it might help to
break it down into smaller tasks:

routing gives you list of segments

maneuvers transforms the segments into what happens between the segments
and might compress out extraneous steps

driving_directions transforms maneuvers into text

So you should go make a bunch of routes on google and look at the text,
it has a pattern. Each of the unique patterns is a maneuver. You want
look at your segments and transform then into maneuvers which you can
define any way that is convenient. Once you have a set of maneuvers, you
want to transform that into the text. So you identify the pattern
suggested by the maneuver, get a template string for the maneuver, and
substitute in the real values, like street names, turns, compass
directionals, etc.

-Steve

Valeria Muñoz wrote:
> some result give me 2,3 or 4  points. how can i define (1,2)(3,4) when i
> got 2 points?
>
> segment 4390:
> "MULTILINESTRING((-71.1958400125164 -30.591211719682,-71.1959567794677
> -30.5912308536826,-71.1968582353939 -30.5913171684662))"
>
> segment 7320:
> "MULTILINESTRING((-71.2063821613355 -30.5998726725634,-71.2070054367284
> -30.5991545647783))"
>
> i try with this query, but does not work:
>
> SELECT
> ST_Azimuth(ST_MakePoint(st_x(st_startpoint(the_geom)),st_x(st_pointn(the_geom,
> 2))), ST_MakePoint(st_x(st_pointn(the_geom,
> st_numpoints(the_geom)-1)),st_x(st_endpoint(the_geom))))/(2*pi())*360 as
> degAz,ST_Azimuth(ST_MakePoint(st_x(st_pointn(the_geom,
> st_numpoints(the_geom)-1)),st_x(st_endpoint(the_geom))),
> ST_MakePoint(st_x(st_startpoint(the_geom)),st_x(st_pointn(the_geom,
> 2))))/(2*pi())*360 As degAzrev from calle where gid=".$id_gid."
>
> results
>
>       degAz                       degAzrev
> 187.380514396367 :: 7.38051439636702
>  4.88000936193493 :: 184.880009361935