[pgrouting-users] Re: pb routing long distance

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Feb 1 19:20:35 EST 2011

Hello Adil,

Thank you for your inquiry. I have CC'd the pgRouting list on this
response because others might have the same questions.

I think we probably need to know more about your installation like:

What platform / OS are your running?
What version of Postgresql?   select version();
What version of PostGIS?        select postgis_full_version();
What version of pgRouting? 1.01, 1.02, 1.03?

What data do you have loaded?
What is your sql query?

So in the example that you try on my site, the server did not crash, but
did not find a result either. This is most likely a data problem and in
fact we are aware that nodes at border crossings are not match so the
network breaks when you try to cross between countries.

In general the server should never crash, but there are some bugs where
this is unfortunately the case. If you can simplify the problem to a
smallish data set and a query that causes a crash, I'm sure the
developers will make some priority to fix this issue.

If you are just not getting a result versus get a real server crash,
then it is likely a data problem. OK, so how do you know which is which?
Use pgAdmin3 and open the SQL window, and enter you SQL query.  It will
report if the server crashed or it will return with no records if it can
not find a route between your start and end points.

Also you need to be aware that bounding box for segments between the
start and end point on a horizontal or vertical lines need to be
expanded more to make sure you load enough segments to get a solution.

Hope this helps,
   -Steve