[pgrouting-users] pgRouting with Postgres 9.0 on Windows?

Richard Marsden winwaed at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:31:29 EST 2011

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

Yes I could try a smaller file :-)
Eventually I will want to work with the entire planet.osm, but I guess the
re-tries will be quicker :-)

> There are probably many Windows users in the pgRouting community, but
> obviously just a few that can build Windows binaries.
> So the currently available builds were reported to us from users. It would
> be nice to find some volunteers, who could maintain the Windows builds.

Thanks. Okay - for now I'll probably have to reinstall the older version
then.

> osm2po is independent from pgRouting, so you don't need to rebuild
> everything.

Sorry I wasn't clear. osm2po produces a big giant SQL script (my German is
not good enough to work out how to get it to write directly into PostGIS).
Creating this script is what takes the most time. I still have that script,
so it does not have to be re-generated.

>>  I see that pgRouting only works with node numbers. However I shall have
>> start/end points defined by coordinates. I'm still trying to figure the
>> database out. Presumably I can use a query to find the closest node to each
>> coordinate, although I can only see the link definitions and not the node
>> definitions? (or are these implicit in the links?  ie. a link has a start
>> node number and a start coordinate).
>>

> A-Star and Dijkstra work with node ID's, Shooting Star with link ID's.
> You need to find the closest link/node to your start point to get the
> start/end node/link
> Yes, a link has a start node and a end node.

Thanks. At this point I hadn't decided which to use. I assume all use the
same link definitions with implicit node definitions.

> To make it work the same way as in the tutorial I created a "view", for
> example like this:
>
> CREATE VIEW view_ph_topo AS SELECT id AS gid, type_name AS class_id,
> st_length(geom_way) AS length, osm_name AS name, x1, y1, x2, y2,
> reverse_cost, cost, km, kmh, priority, source, target, target_angle, osm_id,
> pid, osm_source_id, osm_target_id, geom_way AS the_geom, geom_source,
> geom_target, length(transform(geom_way, 900913)) AS meters,
> length(transform(geom_way, 900913)) AS meters_rc, 0.0::double precision AS
> to_cost, NULL::text AS rule FROM ph_topo;
>
> Maybe the table layout of osm2po has changed again, so I can't say it works
> exactly like this.
> Then you should be able make a query like the ones in the tutorials.

Thanks I'll have a look & compare - it should help when translating the
tutorials and documentation. Hopefully it will be enough to get me going.

Thanks,

Richard Marsden