[pgrouting-users] crash of driving_distance with large network [Solved]

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jan 19 10:02:19 EST 2011

On 1/19/2011 8:46 AM, Markus Innerebner wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just for your interests:
> I found out the reason of the crash. the id of the edges and vertexes
> exceed the range of int4. I used as data type integer.

Thanks for posting this follow up.

So for performance, if I'm not mistaken, it is best to renumber all you
id to start with 1 (one) and to be sequential, ie: avoid large gaps in
the numbering. If you need to preserve the original ids then create new
columns and to renumber into. Then use the renumbered columns when
passing data to pgRouting. This obviously does not help with the int4
overflow issue if you have a huge number of ids.

-Steve W