[pgrouting-users] Re: Pgrouting-users Digest, Vol 32, Issue 4

Ryan Dalton ryankdalton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:54:00 EDT 2011

I had a similar thought/question that I wanted to run by the list to make
sure my thinking is sound and hopefully answer one more piece of my puzzle.
I am very new to pgRouting, but have been playing around with it enough to
come up with some of my own ways of doing things.  If I am missing any key
concepts that make my thinking incorrect or if there are more efficient ways
to complete the process, I am open to critique.

My thought was to use the *alphashape *function in pgRouting to generate the
polygons based upon the cost field.  If the cost field were in distance
units, it would create a polygon of X distance.  If cost were in time, it
would create a polygon of X time.  Then, to get something similar to Peter's
request, couldn't you simply select the underlying road segments that are
completely within the polygon?  While it wouldn't give you the exact roads
available for travel, it would theoretically be very close, right?  Am I
missing any key concepts that would make this thought process incorrect?

The code I am using for a single polygon is:
*DROP TABLE IF EXISTS a_iso;*
*CREATE TABLE a_iso AS*
*SELECT the_geom *
*FROM points_as_polygon('SELECT id, ST_X(the_geom) AS x, ST_Y(the_geom) AS y
FROM a_drive_dist WHERE cost <= 5');*

Lastly, my code above gives me a single polygon representing a cost of 5.
How would I change this code to generate multiple polygons in the same layer
representing cost units of 0-5, 5-10, 10-15, and so on?  I have in my head
something like the SELECT...GROUP BY function but for continuous values.
Thanks!

Ryan