[pgrouting-users] pgRouting functions causing server crash

Steve Horn steve at stevehorn.cc
Fri Mar 23 22:09:00 EDT 2012

Hello list.

I am experiencing a problem where I am calling 2 pgrouting functions one
after another and it is causing the postgresql server (9.1) to crash.
(pgrouting version 1.05)

The first function I call is driving_distance, and the second is
shortest_path_astar.

Here is the contents of my postgresql log:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
LOG:  server process (PID 2587) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
[...]
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-03-23 21:51:38
EDT
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG:  redo starts at 13/E1D60
LOG:  unexpected pageaddr 12/F8ED6000 in log file 19, segment 1, offset
15556608
LOG:  redo done at 13/1ED5F90
LOG:  last completed transaction was at log time 2012-03-23
21:51:38.166328-04
FATAL:  the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL:  the database system is in recovery mode
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

//Restarted the server and ran my function again

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
LOG:  server process (PID 7716) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
[...]
LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-03-23 21:58:57
EDT
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG:  redo starts at 13/1F43238
LOG:  unexpected pageaddr 12/F8F76000 in log file 19, segment 1, offset
16211968
LOG:  redo done at 13/1F75F28
LOG:  last completed transaction was at log time 2012-03-23
22:01:14.86379-04
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

If I run driving_distance and shortest_path_astar independently of one
another there is no problem whatsoever. If I use
shortest_path_shooting_star, it works fine. In other words I can replace my
call to shorest_path_astar with shortest_path_shooting_star after my
driving_distance call and it works.

My use case for this scenario is that I want to first create a drive time
polygon, and then calculate distances to points within the polygon from my
centroid.

Thanks for any help!