[pgrouting-users] pgrouting and road traffic congestion

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Mar 1 05:40:40 PST 2013

Daniel's suggestion is good.

Here is how you want to think about the problem:

1. you have a bunch of segments
2. you have average speed based on traffic at different times of the day
for various segments
3. when you request a route, you specify a time
4. then when you select your segments and costs you factor in the
average times

You might not have average times for all segments based on traffic info
so consider this query or one like it:

select coalesce(b.speed, a.speed), a.the_geom
   from streets a left outer join traffic b on a.gid=b.gid
  where mytime between b.time1 and b.time2

So this query assume you have a segments table with a column "speed" and
the "traffic" something like:

id, gid, time1, time2, speed

If you have a speed in the traffic table it will get used otherwise you
will use the default time associated with the segment. If you have
historical average speed data then the traffic table can be static, or
if you want some that routes based on current information and you have
access to real-time traffic sensor speed data that can be feed
dynamically into the traffic data and the system works either way.

I have done both of these for different clients in the past.

-Steve W