[pgrouting-users] How to merge GPS traces which are close to each other

Raghavan Krishnasamylakshmanaperumal rkrish20 at uic.edu
Wed Apr 2 09:16:50 PDT 2014

Hello Everyone,

I have raw GPS points collected from runkeeper(runner/biker) traces.
>From these points I am creating linestrings and on linestrings I am
applying pgr_nodeNetwork to create the network edge table and then  using
pgr_createTopology to build the topology with source and target information.

How can I merge the gps traces which are close to each other, for example
look at the picture which I have attached in which there are 3 GPS
traces(red,green,blue) which are close to each  and while forming the
network graph I want these traces to be considered as a single trace(as
shown in black color). It will be better to get the average of those 3 GPS
traces to form a single GPS trace by this way I may get rid of the noise on
the GPS traces obtained from runkeeper.

Is there a function in pgRouting to make this possible?

Thanks and Regards,
Raghavan KL