[pgrouting-users] Regarding pgrouting and postgis for shortest path

Raghavan Krishnasamylakshmanaperumal rkrish20 at uic.edu
Thu Jan 16 13:31:13 PST 2014

Steve,
Thanks for your reply, I think I almost understood. So you say that having
only these GPS point may not help me I should also have the network map
corresponding to these GPS points using which I can figure out the shortest
path?

So right now I have only these GPS points, how should I proceed further to
figure out the shortest path between any two GPS points from my data. I am
open to use any database/framework/language so please suggest me how to
proceed further and I am concerned about  scalability or other factors
because this is just a proof of concept(course project) which I am trying
to build.

Thanks,
Raghavan

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Stephen Woodbridge <
woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/2014 12:46 PM, Raghavan Krishnasamylakshmanaperumal wrote:
>
>> Recently I started using PostGIS for my academic project which is a
>> route recommendation system. I have stored the data in the following
>> format.
>> /
>> /
>> /gid=>integer, activity=>varchar(20), geom geometry(Point,4326)/
>>

>> geometry points are longitude and latitude information, for example if
>> you record your Running activity using a gps device, each point record
>> (longitude & latitude) is stored in the geom column.
>>

> The shortest distance between two points is a straight line unless you
> want to constrain the problem to the shortest distance along some road or
> path network.
>
> If it is constrained to a networks of paths then you have to have the data
> for that network available.
>
> In the case of pgRouting, you have to load the network data and prepare it
> for routing, then you can use you points as the start and end points of a
> route and ask pgRouting to fins the shortest path between them along the
> network.
>

>  I need to find the shortest path(using Dijkistra's) between any two geom
>> points from this data set and I am trying to automate this using some
>> programming language like Java.
>>

> With Java you can connect to the database and issue simple queries to
> pgRouting to get your results. If you are looking for a Java library to
> solve Dijkstra problems then this is not pgRouting. Also if you are using a
> Java library you will still need to load the network of paths that you want
> to solve you queries against.
>
> Hope this helps,
>   -Steve
>
>  Please can you suggest me how to make use of pgrouting and postgis data
>> to figure out the shortest path. Is there any library available to
>> automate this using Java. I am totally stuck on my project and finally
>> came to know about this mailing list.
>>

>> --
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Raghavan KL