[Portugal] Crisis Commons - Open Source in Action for Disaster Relief

termal12 termal12 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 15:04:39 EST 2010

http://crisiscommons.org/node/42

Enviado para você por termal12 através do Google Reader: Crisis Commons
- Open Source in Action for Disaster Relief via GHABUNTU de sinaisix em
07/02/10

Over the past two weeks, I've been working to organize a CrisisCamp in
Calgary. It was the 1 of 4 happening in Canada this weekend. Based on
Barcamp, the focus was on solutions to aid the NGO"s and responders on
the ground in Haiti. The code base is all open source and can be
modified for other disasters that may occur globally.

Several CrisisCamp events have taken place globally since the quake hit
Haiti on Jan 12th. Volunteers in cities across North America, Bogota in
Colombia, and London, UK have coded solutions directly requested by non
governmental organizations (NGOs) on the ground, all via a website
submission page. Visit CrisisCommon for further insight

Yesterday, Feb 6th, we had a moderate but productive turnout for our
first CrisisCamp. Lucky for me I had 2 project managers volunteer who
helped with narrowing down the scope of projects we wanted to present
to the group based on their skill sets. We presented what we felt were
the most viable and active projects (5 technical & 3 non-technical) to
the group during our 'All Hands on Deck' planning session. We were able
to quickly select 5 projects that resonated with individuals and which
fit their skill set.

Throughout the day we liaised with other cities who were also working
on the projects, to obtain access to the source code, setup
permissions, basecamp accounts, check in with project leads etc.

The projects that our group chose to contribute our time and code to
included:

Haiti Hospital Capacity Finder - Kapab MedNet Situational Awareness
Tool http://haiti.opensgi.net/mednet/ which required python development

Translating OpenStreet Map documentation into French

Haiti Schools Situational Awareness Tool - built a prototype webapp in
groovy/grails to capture and display data

Disaster Accountability Public Database -
http://www.reliefoversight.org/ - updated database info & may
contribute future Drupal coding

Field Voices - requested by Plan Canada,a team developed a java based
web app to enable donors to see progess of construction projects in
Haiti

An overview of all the projects submitted to CrisisCommons can be seen
here: http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Projects

At the end of the day, everyone felt they had made a significant
contribution and would consider coming out for another CrisicCamp. We
have planned a second camp for Feb 20th.

On a final note, it was great to collaborate on projects with people in
different locations via Skype & IRC. I feel that efforts such as these
truly exemplify the spirit of open source development, and look forward
to playing an ongoing role in CrisisCommon.

Cheers for now
Darlene Parker.
Coisas que você pode fazer a partir daqui:
- Inscrever-se no GHABUNTU usando o Google Reader
- Começar a usar o Google Reader para se manter facilmente atualizado
sobre todos os seus sites favoritos