[Portugal] Dracones: A Web Mapping Framework for MapServer

Hugo hfpmartins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:21:00 EST 2010

  Sent to you by Hugo via Google Reader: Dracones: A Web Mapping
Framework for MapServer via Slashgeo by Satri on 1/20/10
Christian writes "I have created Dracones, a Python and JavaScript web
mapping framework based on MapServer, which I think could be of
interest to the open source web mapping/GIS community. This framework
began its life as a surveillance application for Montreal Public
Health. After a lot of refactoring sessions, I had the idea of
abstracting a set of core client/server services, that would become the
framework, and to rewrite the original application in terms of those.
Thus the set of features provided by Dracones stems from pre-existing
application needs, rather than the opposite. In a nutshell, here is
what Dracones provides.

On the client side:
* A lightweight but powerful map widget (100% JS), with state of the
art features like AJAX-based smooth scrolling, visual selection and
info tooltips
* An extension mechanism to define new UI behaviors (e.g. what happens
when clicking on the map, or drawing a selection box around objects)

On the server side:
* A set of Python classes and functions (written on top of
Python-MapScript) that encapsulate the application state, and ease the
interaction with its map objects
* A well-thought extension mechanism, to define custom requests and
queries

Dracones also provides a bunch of other application-centric features,
like easy map image export and undo/redo. Last but not least, I've been
very careful in writing the documentation and tutorials, which I think
cover a wide range of issues and possibilities. This work is still in
Alpha stage, and I will be of course very interested to hear the
community's comments and suggestions."
Read more of this story at Slashgeo.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Slashgeo using Google Reader
favorite sites