[Portugal] Fwd: "Open Geospatial Science & Applications" webinar series on Aug 31st, 2016: Tangible Landscape: open source environment for geospatial learning, science, and community engagement

Artur Gil arturgil gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 9 de Agosto de 2016 - 11:04:47 PDT

----- Mensagem encaminhada -----
*De:* Suchith Anand
*Enviadas:* Segunda-feira, 8 de Agosto de 2016 22:22
*Assunto:* Tangible Landscape: open source environment for geospatial
learning, science, and community engagement

Dear all,

You are invited to join the next *"Open Geospatial Science & Applications"*
webinar series on Aug 31st, 2016  .We thank Dr. Rafael Moreno and
colleagues at the FOSS4G lab, University of Colorado, Denver who are
organising the webinars for us. The webinars will be in English and open
and free to all on first come register basis. These webinars are also run
jointly with UCGIS and ASPRS. Details below

*Tangible Landscape: open source environment for geospatial learning,
science, and community engagement*

August 31, 2016 (Wednesday)  at 6 PM (GMT)

Presented by Helena Mitasova, Anna Petrasova, Brendan Harmon, Vaclav
Petras, Payam Tabrizian
Ross Meentemeyer Center for Geospatial Analytics, North Carolina State
University, USA

In this webinar we introduce Tangible Landscape - a new type of modeling
environment for interacting with geospatial data, analyses and simulations
using maleable 3D physical models. We will describe the concept, show
various options for hardware set-ups in a laboratory or at outreach
events,and discuss technologies for creating 3D landscape models. The
system is powered by open source GRASS GIS and it is designed as a platform
for developing new applications. We will illustrate its capabilities using
case studies in which we have explored how dune breaches affect the extent
of coastal flooding,the impact of different building configurations on cast
shadows and solar energy potential,and the effectiveness of various
landscape designs for controlling runoff and erosion.We will present
different types of interaction including molding polymeric sand, placing
markers,and drawing with laser pointer. We will demonstrate how these
tangible interactions can be used for collaborative decision making or
engaging geogames. The most recent (and exciting) development includes
coupling tangible landscape with an immersive virtual environment, which
allows users to virtually step into the modeled landscape. We will show
Tangible Landscape in various settings such as outreach events and
conferences engaging diverse audiences such as children, scientists, and
software developers.We will conclude by introducing the Tangible Landscape
on-line community and inviting everyone to join and share their own ideas
about hardware set-ups, new applications, software development and modes of
interaction.

Details at https://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/tangible-landscape.html

More details and how to connect will be updated at http://www.geoforall.org/
webinars/

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr. Suchith Anand
http://www.geoforall.org/
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/suchith-anand-6447b42

*Geo for All - Building and expanding Open Geospatial Science*