[Portugal] Fwd: Tell World Leaders: We Must Unlock the Data Needed to Feed the Hungry

Artur Gil arturgil gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 15 de Setembro de 2016 - 02:54:14 PDT

----- Mensagem encaminhada -----
*De:* Suchith Anand

Dear colleagues,

Nearly 800 million people struggle with hunger worldwide. We have the
knowledge, the tools and the data to lower this figure to 0 – but this can
only happen if everyone has equal access to data. Access to research and
data is crucial to feeding the world’s hungry. World leaders and the
brightest minds in agriculture and data are currently in New York for the
GODAN Summit 2016 to make agricultural and nutrition data free for farmers
around the world.

The largest-ever event dedicated to open data and agriculture, the GODAN
summit will take place on the margins of the UN General Assembly in New
York. The aim will be to urge world leaders to open their national datasets
on agriculture and nutrition to help bring hunger around the world to an
end. Experts from around the world have gathered to discuss opening vital
data on agriculture and nutrition to millions who don’t have access. We are
convinced that the solution to eliminating hunger lies within existing, but
often unavailable, agriculture and nutrition data.

The Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN) initiative is
committed to closing this unacceptable hunger gap by making agriculture and
nutrition data available, accessible and useable to everyone. Portions of
the event will be LIVE webcast.  So those interested can watch . Details
are at the GODAN Summit 2016 website http://summit.godan.info      Videos
from the event will be posted on the GODAN YouTube Channel.

The Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN)
http://www.godan.info/     initiative was announced in 2013 and aims to
bring countries together to harness the massive amounts of data to solve
hunger problems, benefit farmers, and address consumer health issues. GODAN
seeks to support global efforts to make agricultural and nutritionally
relevant data available, accessible, and usable for unrestricted use
worldwide. By empowering stakeholders and world leaders to enable action,
GODAN works to unlock the data necessary to solve the challenge of global
food insecurity.

We need your help to help farmers get the data they need and help end
hunger. We call on you to support this global action to get every
government, non­-governmental, international and private sector
organization to make agriculture and nutrition data available, accessible
and usable.

Make your voice heard at http://summit.godan.info/petition

I will be sharing Geo4All ideas on the importance of Openness in research
at the GODAN Summit  tomorrow (16 Sep at 1:30pm local time). Details at
http://summit.godan.info/schedule/

I look forward to your active support.

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr. Suchith Anand
http://www.geoforall.org

Geo for All - Building and expanding Open Geospatial Science