[postgis-devel] Re: postgis front-end interface

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Nov 18 09:42:02 PST 2003

strk wrote:
> Trying to do WKB crunching for loader/dumper I came to this conclusion:
> postgis objects and functionality should be also available for front-end
> applications.
>
> If we can handle GEOMETRY objects and convert them to/from WKB/WKT
> we will also be able to quickly write any convertion tool (eg. SVG).

As Dave said, passing postgis geometries no the wire is antithetical to
OpenGIS principals. A possibly better approach would be to add a
WKB-based constructor to GEOS, so that data can be read right off the
wire as WKB and very easily converted into GEOS objects at the client.
This is true of all client libs, of course. :)

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey