[postgis-devel] dumper with binary cursor

strk strk at keybit.net
Wed Nov 26 10:27:54 PST 2003

With the great suggestion from Dave I've implemented
a quick binary cursor scan for the dumper.

It currently does not bother checking catalog entries to
find the appropriate ->text conversion funx and tries ::text.

If ::text does not work user receives a message like:
ERROR:  Cannot cast type <your_type_here> to text

In that case the user will have to go back to text cursor.
Text cursor is the default, to enable binary cursor you have
to use the -b flag.

Note that if you do not set USE_WKB the -b flag will just
transfer few more bytes (the varsize info...).

So, to see the real speed you should: define USE_WKB and
call with -b.

PS: The code is getting real spaghetti, I plan to make binary
    cursor the default and drop many lines of code. This can be
    possible as far as for every  type in db a ->text conversion
    function MUST exist.